Seven Steps To Successful SEO
The techniques used to boost your ranking in the organic or 'free' search results are known as Search Engine Optimization or SEO. There are hundreds of individual SEO Techniques. The most effective tactics fall within the Seven Steps to Successful SEO.
1) Learn the Keywords your Customers Use
2) Check out the Competition
- How do your customers search? Which keywords bring in the most business?
- SEO is about knowing which words are in the minds of the visitors you're trying to attract.
3) Make it Easy for Search Engines to Find your Website.
- Which directories are they listed in? Which Keywords do they outrank you on?
- Check their inbound links and keyword density. Break down their SEO Strategy and outdo it.
4) Encourage other Websites to Link to your Site
- Avoid using Flash, frames, or dynamic content.
- Make sure there are no broken links. Incorporate your keywords into the content, the HTML tags, and filenames of your website.
5) List your site with Search Directories and Industry Directories
- The more Inbound links from relevant, high-quality websites, the more traffic will be directed to your site, and the higher your search rankings.
- Also link to other pages within your own site.
- Many directories are free, but some that charge such as Yahoo are also worth the investment.
- Be sure to submit your URL and sitemap to the search engines.
6) Update your Website or Business Blog with new Content
7) Don't try to trick the Search Engines
- Search engines love fresh content.
- Engage your readers and optimize each new page for a unique keyword phrase.
Wait, you're not done yet...
- Avoid duplicate content, keyword stuffing and beware of SEO Schemes that guarantee high search results.
- These so called Black Hat techniques may get your site banned from Google.
Monitor and Adjust
Search Engine Optimization is an ongoing process. Keep an eye on your analytics reports to see where your traffic is coming from and which keywords attract the most customers. The world of SEO is constantly changing so keep up to date to stay on top.
SEO Takes Time
These steps are not simple, quick, or easy. The true cost of ranking high in the 'free' search results is time. The payoff from including SEO in your search marketing strategy comes from the increase in business that makes it all worth while.
My name is Richard Newman. I have a strong passion for online marketing and enjoy helping small businesses succeed. By sharing what I've learned, I hope to attract more visitors to your website.
I am a member of the International Internet Marketing Association and the British Columbia Association of Integrated Marketers. I attend as many of the events as possible, to keep up with the ever-changing world of online marketing.